Posts Tagged "summer job"

Reap the benefits of hiring your child for the summer

Posted on Jul 10, 2017

Hiring your children to work in your business can be a win-win situation for everyone. Your kids will earn money, gain real-life experience in the workplace, and learn what you do every day. And you will reap a few tax benefits in the process. The following guidelines will help you determine if the arrangement will work in your situation. Make sure your child works a real job that he or she can reasonably handle, no matter how basic or simple. Consider tasks like office filing, packing orders, or customer service. Treat your child like any other employee. Expect regular hours and appropriate behavior. If you are lenient with your child, you risk upsetting other employees. To avoid questions from the IRS, make sure the pay is reasonable for the duties performed. It’s not a bad idea to prepare a written job description for your files. Include a W-2 at year-end. Record hours worked just as you would for any employee. If possible, pay your child using the normal payroll system and procedures your other employees use. Hiring your children works best if you are a sole proprietor. It has additional tax benefits not available if your business is organized as a C corporation or an S corporation. If you have questions, give us a call. Together we can determine if hiring your child is the right course of action for your business and your...

Read More

Taxes and your child’s summer job

Posted on Jun 20, 2013

With the school year over, your teenager might be taking a summer job. If so, you both may have questions about taxes. Here are some of the common concerns. If your child chooses a typical wage-paying job, he or she will soon be confronted with the task of calculating withholding allowances on Form W-4. Claiming zero allowances and thereby withholding the maximum amount is the safest option, but it might also unnecessarily tie up hard-earned cash until this year’s tax return is filed. However, claiming too many allowances, especially if the child holds multiple part-time jobs, might cause underwithholding. For help figuring the right number, try the withholding calculator at (Look under “Filing Information for Individuals.”) If your child decides to mow lawns or perform other tasks and be his own boss, there are a few more tax issues to consider. Such activity will likely generate taxable income, on which federal and state income taxes might be due. If net earnings are $400 or more, self-employment taxes will also be owed. These taxes can often be paid at the time that the child files a 2013 tax return, but if the income is substantial enough, estimated tax deposits might be necessary. Being self-employed also means keeping detailed records of income and business expenses. Encourage your teen to purchase a simple low-cost ledger book to help organize the records. And when tracking income, remind the child that tips received are not just tokens of gratitude – they are considered taxable income by the IRS. Summer jobs can provide tax breaks for some parents. Business owners can hire their own children and deduct the wages paid to them, effectively shifting income from the parent’s higher income bracket to the child’s lower bracket. What’s more, if operating as a sole proprietor, you do not have to pay FICA taxes if your teen is under age 18 nor pay federal unemployment taxes if the child is under age 21. Just remember, the wages you pay your child must be appropriate for the services actually rendered. Looking for a little icing on the summer employment cake? When your child receives earned income, he or she can also qualify for a Roth IRA. The lower of $5,500 or the child’s annual earned income can be contributed to a Roth by the teen, parent, or someone else. Summer employment can be your teen’s first exposure to the real world. Help them make it a tax-smart experience. If you have questions about taxes and summer jobs, give us a...

Read More

Taxes & summer jobs

Posted on Jun 22, 2010

Is your child looking for a job this summer? If so, you both may have questions about taxes. Here are three common concerns.  * Is a tax return required? The answer depends on several factors, including the total amount of income received. For instance, if wages are the only source of income, your child can generally earn up to $5,700 during 2010 before a federal tax return is necessary. However, unless your child can claim an exemption from withholding, a return may be required even when wages earned are lower than the filing requirement. That’s because filing is the only way to claim a refund of overpaid taxes. In addition, self-employment income, tips, interest, dividends, and stock sales can affect the filing requirement.  * Can my child open an IRA? Anyone under age 70½ who has earned income can contribute to a traditional IRA. There’s no age restriction for Roth accounts, though the amount of the contribution phases out at higher income levels (starting at $105,000 for single individuals in 2010). The maximum standard contribution for 2010 is $5,000.  * Are there any tax breaks if my child works for me? You can take a business tax deduction when you pay a reasonable wage for work your child performs in your business. If your business is a sole proprietorship or a partnership you and your spouse operate, and your child is under age 18, you don’t have to pay social security, Medicare, or federal unemployment taxes. The child’s wages are subject to income taxes.  If you have other questions about the tax implications of a summer job, give us a...

Read More