Use the “X” forms to correct your returns

Posted on May 26, 2016

What should you do when you discover an error on an already-filed tax return? In most cases, the answer is: prepare and file a correction or an amended return. Forms for amending already-filed returns typically have an “X” in the title. For example, you’d use Form 1040X to correct your individual federal income tax return, even if you originally filed Form 1040A or 1040EZ. Most payroll returns also have an “X” in the title to differentiate forms used for amendments (Form 941-X, for example), as do C corporations (Form 1120X). S corporation returns and information reports such as Form 1099 generally have a checkbox on the regular form to indicate you’re filing a corrected return.

Gilliland & Associates, PC is a full-service CPA firm specializing in tax planning for individuals and businesses in the Northern Virginia area. We are based in Falls Church, VA and also service clients in the McLean and Tysons Corner, VA. Gilliland & Associates specializes known for our superior knowledge and aggressive interpretation and application of tax laws, we help you keep more of your earnings by finding you the lowest possible tax on your business or personal tax return. You can connect with us on Google+, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter.