These callers are claiming that the IRS is pursuing a lawsuit against you, or have a warrant out for your arrest. If you do not answer, they will likely leave you a message warning you that this is your last notice from them.
Local consumers have reported the numbers that these scammers are asking you to call them back at are 202-864-1213 and 585-364-6540. Another person reported the number they left for her to call back was (716) 795-0238.
The BBB has reason to believe that this is a Pakistan or India-based IRS scam and advises you to always screen your phone calls and ignore any calls from numbers that you do not recognize.
If you receive one of these calls or voicemails, keep these tips in mind:
- Don’t wire any money. The IRS will not ask for payment over the phone, especially by money order or prepaid debit card. If you owe money to the IRS, they will send you a letter in the mail
- Just hang up and don’t call back. It is tempting to get the last word, but you may end up giving scammers information they can use later.
- Never give out your personal information. Caller ID spoofing makes it very easy for callers to pretend to be someone else. Scammers have also posed as immigration authorities and representatives of utilities companies. Be very skeptical of anyone who calls asking for money or personal information.
- If you know you owe taxes or think you might owe, call the IRS at 1.800.829.1040. The IRS workers can help you with a payment issue.
- If you know you don’t owe taxes or have no reason to believe that you do, report the incident to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) at 1.800.366.4484 or at www.tigta.gov.
- You can file a complaint using the FTC Complaint Assistant; choose “Other” and then “Imposter Scams.” If the complaint involves someone impersonating the IRS, include the words “IRS Telephone Scam” in the notes.
Gilliland & Associates, PC is a full-service CPA firm specializing in tax planning for individuals and businesses in the Northern Virginia area. We are based in Falls Church, VA and also service clients in the McLean and Tysons Corner, VA. Gilliland & Associates specializes known for our superior knowledge and aggressive interpretation and application of tax laws, we help you keep more of your earnings by finding you the lowest possible tax on your business or personal tax return. You can connect with us on Google+, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter.