Your child may have to file a return

Posted on Apr 5, 2011

Your child may have to file a 2010 income tax return. Generally, a return is required if the child had wages of more than $5,700, self-employment earnings over $400, or investment income (such as dividends, interest, and capital gains) over $950. If your child had both earned and investment income, other thresholds apply. Also, if your child is due a refund, a return must be filed to get it. Contact us if you need more information or filing assistance.