Recently married or divorced? Notify the SSA

Posted on Sep 5, 2017

Image courtesy of photostock at

Some of the most common tax return errors come from name mistakes. Your name has to match the information on file with the Social Security Administration (SSA). So if you recently married or divorced but haven’t changed your name with the SSA, you’ll need to file under your old name.

Gilliland & Associates, PC is a full-service CPA firm specializing in tax planning for individuals and businesses in the Northern Virginia area. We are based in Falls Church, VA and also service clients in McLean and Tysons Corner, VA. Gilliland & Associates is known for our superior knowledge and aggressive interpretation and application of tax laws. We help you keep more of your earnings by finding you the lowest possible tax on your business or personal tax return. You can connect with us on Google+, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter.