If you donated money to charity, you’ll need these records

Posted on Mar 16, 2018

Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at freedigitalphotos.net

If you plan on deducting charitable contributions on your 2017 tax return, you’ll need to have certain records. Gifts by check or credit/debit card must have written documentation showing the contribution amount and date, as well as the name of the organization you gave to. If the contribution is more than $250, you’ll also need a written acknowledgement from the charity created at the time you made the donation.
If you receive something in return for donating, you can deduct only the difference between the contribution amount and the value of the benefit you received in return. Give us a call if you have questions about deducting your charitable contributions.

Gilliland & Associates, PC is a full-service CPA firm specializing in tax planning for individuals and businesses in the Northern Virginia area. We are based in Falls Church, VA and also service clients in McLean and Tysons Corner, VA. Gilliland & Associates is known for our superior knowledge and aggressive interpretation and application of tax laws. We help you keep more of your earnings by finding you the lowest possible tax on your business or personal tax return. You can connect with us on Google+, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter.