Posted on Mar 19, 2014
The IRS is urging taxpayers to be aware that tax-related scams using the IRS’s name become more frequent at this time of year. Here are the suggestions the IRS offers that can help protect against scams and identity theft.
* Don’t carry your social security card or any documents that include your social security or taxpayer identification number.
* Don’t give a business these numbers just because they ask for them. Give them only when required.
* Protect your financial information.
* Check your credit report every 12 months.
* Secure personal information in your home.
* Protect your personal computers by using firewalls and anti-spam/virus software, updating security patches, and changing passwords for Internet accounts.
* Don’t give personal information over the phone, through the mail, or on the Internet unless you initiated the contact and are sure of the recipient.
Gilliland & Associates, PC is a full-service CPA firm specializing in tax planning for individuals and businesses in the Northern Virginia area. We are based in Falls Church, VA and also service clients in the McLean and Tysons Corner, VA. Gilliland & Associates specializes known for our superior knowledge and aggressive interpretation and application of tax laws, we help you keep more of your earnings by finding you the lowest possible tax on your business or personal tax return. You can connect with us on Google+ <https://plus.google.com/108764776146415485651/posts> , LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/gillilandcpa> , Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/gillilandcpa> , and Twitter <https://twitter.com/dnggcpa>