Posts Tagged "April 17th"

Need more time to file?

Posted on Apr 10, 2012

If you can’t file your 2011 tax return by the April 17 deadline, you can file for an extension by that date and get until October 15, 2012, to file. You can request the extension on paper, by phone, or online. The extension is automatic, with no explanation necessary. Be aware, however, that an extension to file does not give you more time to pay taxes due for 2011. For assistance, contact our...

Read More

April 17 – A big day for taxes

Posted on Apr 3, 2012

Tuesday, April 17, is the deadline for filing certain returns and taking certain tax-related actions. Here are the major deadlines.  * Filing 2011 income tax returns for individuals. If you cannot file your return by this deadline, be sure to file an extension request by April 17. The automatic extension (you don’t need to explain to the IRS why you need more time) gives you until October 15, 2012, to file your return. An extension does not, generally, give you more time to pay taxes you still owe. * Filing 2011 partnership returns for calendar-year partnerships.  * Filing 2011 income tax returns for calendar-year trusts and estates.  * Filing 2011 annual gift tax returns.  * Making 2011 IRA contributions.  * Paying the first quarterly estimate of 2012 individual estimated tax.  * Amending 2008 individual tax returns (unless the 2008 return had a filing extension).  * Original filing of 2008 individual income tax return to claim a refund of taxes. Some taxpayers have tax refunds due them for prior years, and unless a return is filed to claim the refund by the three-year statute of limitations, the refund is lost...

Read More