IRS provides tax relief for disaster victims

Posted on Oct 4, 2011

If you used Form 4868 to request a six-month extension to file your 2010 income tax return, be aware that your return must be filed by October 17, 2011. Generally, the IRS does not provide filing extensions beyond that date; however, victims of recent natural disasters have been given more time to file returns and pay taxes. This tax relief is part of the federal response to recent hurricanes on the East coast, wildfires in Texas, and severe storms and flooding in other parts of the country.

For updates on relief and areas covered, go to “Tax Relief in Disaster Situations” on the IRS website (